How does commissioning me work?
Looking to get a custom artwork but are unsure about how it all works? Or are maybe just looking to get acquainted with my process? Then read right ahead, I hope to provide you with some quick insight that will hopefully make the process more approachable.
If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Looking forward to hearing from you!
To start the commission process, please contact me or use the contact form in the 'Contact' section of my website.
I find it easiest to get us started swiftly when I'm provided the following:
• Type of project: one time or recurring, single illustration or multiple illustrations
• Commission type: character art, illustration, concept art/visual development; portrait, waist up, full body + any style specifications
• Character(s) info: names, descriptions, visual references, their personality (brief), optional: their backstory (brief), what kind of scene/pose you would like to see
• What will you use the illustration(s) for? (just to determine if commercial use applies)
• Any specific dimensions/resolution that may apply. (particularly if intended for print)
• Any possible deadlines that may apply.
• Your Paypal e-mail address (for payment purposes - if different payment method is preferred, inquire and it will be discussed!)
Based on the given information, I will provide a price quote and let you know of my availability. Once we are both on the same page regarding all the details, I will ask you to read my Terms of Service, and/or if applicable, also provide a contract confirming our agreement as well as any potential licensing/copyright transfer. (If you are an AD or a company with a standardized contract, we can work with that too!)
At this point, I will also ask you for any remaining relevant information I need for invoicing, and invoice you for a 50% deposit. I do most of my payments through Paypal (unless discussed otherwise). Please do keep in mind that there are sometimes transfer fees involved as well.
After I've received the deposit, I will begin working on a sketch based on the information that you've provided. Once I have that ready, I will send it to you for to comment on.
This is the best time to make any larger changes (different hairstyle, outfit adjustments, changing the character's expression or pose slightly etc.). Once we get into the painting
stage, it becomes harder and harder to change things, and any more extreme changes will at that point result in additional charges.
Note: more complex illustrations will likely also get a thumbnail phase before the sketch. This is a pre-sketch that allows us to plan out the composition/lighting/colors.
When you are happy with the sketch, I will start the painting process. Once the painting is done or mostly done, I will send a small preview to you for one final inspection. If the painting is a more complex illustration, I am likely to send you an extra glimpse or two during this process.
Once you are happy with the final product, I will send the final 50% fee invoice your way. When that's paid, I will send you the full resolution of your painting for you to enjoy!